You’ve joined an ASA slowpitch softball team and you need an ASA-approved bat. You’re in the right place! This list of the best ASA softball bats includes all of the market’s top models.
Let’s take a look at some of the hottest ASA slowpitch bats on the market in 2022. Also, check our recommendations for the best men’s slowpitch softball bats and the best slowpitch softball gloves of 2022.
1. 2021 Kyle Pearson Freak 23 Maxload
The best overall
The 2021 Kyle Pearson Freak 23 Maxload USA/ASA bat has a 12-inch barrel length and 2.25-inch barrel diameter, with a slight (0.5 ounce) maxload. The added end weight of this 3-piece, all-composite bat packs a nice punch on contact.
The composite materials used to construct this ASA softball bat are made from aerospace-grade fibers. This delivers unbeatable durability and high-end performance. The Tetra Core Technology inside the barrel creates even more performance and durability by maximizing compression and response in the barrel.
Flex 2 Power Technology is another powerful feature that optimizes the performance of the 2021 Freak 23 Maxload. It creates optimal flex along the handle and barrel, which ensures maximum whip through your swing.
This is the signature bat of professional slowpitch athlete, Kyle Pearson. A pro-inspired model is always an advantage when choosing a top-rated ASA bat.
- Multiple features dedicated to improving the performance and pop of this bat.
- Aerospace-grade fibers offer extreme durability.
- Maxload end weight generates added power.
- End load may be too much for smaller players or hitters that want a contact bat.
- True power hitters may want a heavier end load.
The 2021 Miken Kyle Pearson Freak 23 Maxload slowpitch bat is one of the most potent models on the market. It is packed with performance-enhancing features that will bring your game to the next level.
2. 2021 Worth Ryan HarveyKrecher XL
The best ASA bat for power hitters
The 2021 Worth Krecher XL USA/ASA bat is another pro-inspired model. It is the signature slowpitch bat of Ryan Harvey, Worth’s own professional player. The sizing for the barrel is 13.5 inches in length and 2.25 inches in diameter. It is a 3-piece, composite bat with a 0.5 ounce end load.
The most notable feature of this ASA-approved softball bat is the Quad Comp Tech. This places a polyurethane joint at the point where the handle and barrel meet (hence why it is a 3-piece bat). This provides multiple benefits to the player.
First, it produces a more consistent and comfortable feel when contact is made. It also maximizes the bend of the barrel during contact, which will accelerate your swing and the batted ball. Essentially, it allows the inner barrel to produce an overall larger sweet spot. You’ll more consistently hammer the ball to deep parts of the field.
Adding to this superb bat whip is the Flex 50 Handle, which is ultra-thin for added flexibility.
- Incredible flex index to maximize whip and the exit velocity of batted balls.
- Quad Comp Tech improves swing speed and pop of batted balls.
- Maxload end load is ideal for power hitters looking for added heft to their bat.
- You need to keep your serial sticker on the bat for Worth to honor their warranty.
The 2021 Worth Krecher XL slowpitch bat is a pro-inspired, top-rated USA/ASA softball bat with exceptional power. It’s an excellent option for any hitter that can handle the maxload end weight.
3. 2021 Miken Freak Primo USA
The best ASA bat for contact hitters
The 2021 Miken Freak Primo USA bat has a balanced swing weight, which can be a rare but welcomed find in the slowpitch softball world. Where most people are looking for maxload bats for home run hitting, this bat is all about making solid contact into the gaps.
With a 14-inch barrel (2.25-inch diameter), you can extend the bat across the strike zone and make solid, level contact.
This 4-piece ASA-approved slowpitch softball bat features the same Tetra Core Technology seen in other Miken models. This tech puts an inner core inside the barrel tube that helps the bat compress on contact for maximum trampolining on batted balls. With this feature, the bat will hit harder than even some end loaded models!
The 2021 Miken Freak Primo also features Sensi-Flex Technology to deliver optimal energy transfer between handle and barrel. Not only does this reduce vibrations felt on the player’s hands, but it will add some pop to your hits.
- Tetra Core Technology enables the barrel to compress and produce optimal pop.
- Balanced swing weight is ideal for contact hitters.
- Sensi-Flex Technology improves performance and decrease bat sting.
- Balanced swing weight may be too light for power hitters.
- Only carries the USA Softball (ASA) certification; not approved for other leagues.
If you want the best ASA slowpitch bat for making contact and getting on base, then you want the 2021 Miken Freak Primo.
4. 2021 Anderson Rocketech
The best one-piece bat
If you’re playing in different slowpitch leagues, or you’re not sure what rules your league abides by, having a dual stamp bat is a nice workaround. The 2021 Anderson Rocketech slowpitch softball bat carries both the USSSA and USA/ASA stamps (it is also approved for ISA and NSA leagues).
This bat is also noteworthy because it is a one-piece alloy bat. Some hitters prefer the stiff feel of a one-piece bat because it is easier to feel the contact and know when you’ve hit the sweet spot or not.
The 7075 alloy material matches with the Double Wall Design to produce a durable, high-performing barrel. The two walls create superb compression inside the bat to send balls flying. Add in the end loaded swing weight and you have a very potent bat!
The 2021 Anderson Rocketech slowpitch bat has an affordable price compared to the other bats on this list.
- 7075 alloy is stiff and responsive, which is what many power hitters want.
- Double Wall Design produces excellent compression inside the barrel.
- Dual Stamp permits this bat to be used in all slow pitch softball leagues.
- Stiff feel of the one-piece alloy bat creates extra bat sting.
- End loaded swing may not suit the needs of contact hitters.
- Some players feel that alloy bats don’t perform as well as composite.
The 2021 Anderson Rocketech is the most versatile option. It can be used in all the different slowpitch leagues and the bat has an affordable price tag.
5. 2021 Worth Mach 1 Boss 302
The coolest looking ASA-approved bat
An alternative option for balanced bats is the 2021 Worth Mach 1 Boss 302 13.5-inch slowpitch bat. The 13.5-inch length adds a nice middle-ground between the more typical 12-inch and 14-inch lengths.
The Worth Mach 1 Boss 302 is also a four-piece composite bat, similar to the Miken Freak Primo. It uses the same Quad Comp Tech seen in the Worth Ryan Harvey Krecher XL bat. This joint between barrel and handle produces more pop, better energy transfer and a smoother overall feel on contact.
The Flex 100 handle achieves the incredible feat of delivering a stiff-feeling handle that also flexes on contact. This is thanks to the connection collar that optimizes flex to generate more speed and distance on contact. The look and design of the bat is inspired by the 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302.
- Flex 100 handle feels stiff but flexes to produce impressive whip and bat speed.
- Quad Comp Technology fuses the bat together to create flex and an optimized inner barrel.
- Balanced swing weight is great for contact hitting.
- Not all hitters will like the stiff feeling handle, even with its flexibility.
- Need to save serial sticker to utilize manufacturer’s warranty.
Not only does the 2021 Worth Mach 1 Boss 302 13.5-inch bat look great, it also has exceptional performance for a balanced bat.
6. 2022 Axe Avenge Power Gap
The best design
Axe bats are always worth talking about because of their untraditional handle design. If you’re unfamiliar, the 2nd Generation Axe Handle is shaped like the handle of a woodcutter’s axe. This is a more ergonomic shape that produces faster swings, better control and even helps prevent injuries.
The 2022 Avenge Power Gap USA/ASA slowpitch bat features this handle and other bat technologies, like the Power Gap Barrel. This feature puts a thin air gap between the two walls of the barrel. This pocket of air acts like a springboard to launch batted balls. It dramatically improves the responsiveness and sweet spot of this bat.
Next up, the Vibration Cancelling System removes any unpleasant feedback and combines with the lightweight flex handle to speed up the bat head during your swing. Further contributing to the lightweight swing is the HyperWhip Composite End Cap that removes excess weight from the very end of the barrel – the opposite of an end load.
Overall, this two-piece bat is made from responsive, Charged Carbon Composite materials. The barrel is 2.25-inches thick and features an aesthetic blue, orange and gray color pattern.
- 2nd-Gen Axe Handle has ergonomic and performance benefits.
- Power Gap Barrel is extremely responsive and lightweight.
- HyperWhip Composite End Cap removes extra weight to create a fast-swinging bat.
- Lightweight bat may not be for all hitters, especially those looking for an end loaded stick.
If you’re looking for the fastest, lightest slowpitch softball bat, the 2022 Axe Avenge Power Gap USA bat is the answer.
That concludes our list of the best ASA slowpitch softball bats of 2022. We’ve included 6 options for various playing preferences and styles. Thanks to these reviews, you should have no problems finding the best ASA/USA slowpitch softball bat for your needs!