If you plan to become a dangerous grappler, you should definitively buy a pair of Jiu-Jitsu mats for home. The Covid-19 pandemic brought a lot of restrictions and changes. But training in your home will be an option forever!
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu mats are excellent investments for many reasons. First, even if you work odd hours, you can roll when you come home. Second, you can learn from YouTube or Twitch videos. Third, the ability to get some extra training is always great. Don’t forget, practice makes perfect.
We will guide you through the world of the best Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu mats and help you choose the perfect pair for your grappling style. Please keep reading to discover your perfect match.
1. HemingWeigh Tri-Folding Gymnastic Mat
This is one of the best MMA mats for fighters with very sensitive skin. Also, no-gi competitors and defensive-minded grapplers will have a great time with this model.
A tri-folding gymnastic mat is one of the most suitable folding grappling mats for defensive-minded grapplers. Fans of Royce Gracie (MMA) and Andre Galvao (BJJ) will enjoy this model, as it allows you to work on every aspect of fighting off your back.
- Portable grappling mats mean you can train wherever you want. Easy to store in the trunk of your car. If you’d like to train triangle chokes or gogoplata attempts in the forest, your dream can come true.
- Thick padding. Great back comfort. Well-cushioned, highly recommended for no-gi sessions, chances of injuries reduced to the minimum.
- Reduces risk of injury.
- Foldable design with carrying handles.
- Non-toxic and eco-friendly model, sweat-proof and moisture resistant, easy to clean.
- Fair price.
- If you want a serious rolling session outside of your home (especially leg lock training), you’ll probably need at least 2 or 3 mats, which demands more money.
2. Beautyovo Puzzle Mat
If you’re a technical grappler who prepares for an MMA fight or plans to perform at a high-level gi competition, these are the best BJJ mats for you. Try it out, you won’t regret it!
Beautyovo is one of the most suitable mats for Jiu-Jitsu to equip your mini-grappling gym at home. You can create your perfect workout space in a second’s notice. This model is easy to assemble and disassemble.
- There’s no need to paint your walls in green or red. These colors work with almost any color pattern.
- There won’t be scratches, scuffs, or dents on the floor after your grappling workout due to soft, flexible, and impact-resistant EVA foam.
- You can train slams and takedowns for an MMA fight (but please, put your rash guard on).
- The foam floor tiles interlock tightly; it won’t come apart during submission switch or transition attempts.
- There are five different designs.
- Waterproof, sweat-resistant material, built to last.
- Easy to clean, you just need a mild soap.
- If you plan a no-gi grappling training session, this is not a good option.
- Mid-range price.
3. IncStores 1″ Interlocking Foam Tiles
IncStores 1″ Interlocking Foam Tiles is one of the most flexible choices in the market when it comes to mats for martial arts. You can quickly create high-level tatami and separate your mats.
You can purchase 12 tiles at a pretty much ok price. I’d call it a good choice for grappling practitioners who don’t live in big houses. Turn your living room into a rolling paradise!
- Two choices of popular reversible colors. Colors are going to work well with almost any decor. If you’re OCD, you’ll probably be a fan of this model.
- High-density closed-cell EVA foam is very durable and easy to store. You can put it in the corner of your room, in the closet, or even under the bed. It doesn’t require much space.
- There are several different sizes available.
- It is easy to carry.
- One of the most suitable mats for BJJ for offensive grapplers that take part in gi competitions.
- Not a good choice for no-gi and MMA competitions.
- If you prefer scrambles off your back, defensive grappling, or submission switch attempts, this might not be a perfect choice for you.
4. BalanceFrom GoGym All-Purpose Mat
This should be the choice of offensive-minded ground and pound strikers. It protects your knees and lets you defend and attack without knee pads.
BalanceFromGoGym is a portable model that is, potentially, one of the best Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu mats for fighters who spend a lot of time on their sides or in a “turtle” position. Your knees definitely won’t turn red.
- Very easy to carry due to foldable 4-panel design.
- High-density EPE foam protects your back from scratches, which makes this model suitable for no-gi grappling training sessions.
- Non-toxic and durable model.
- Easy to wash, moisture resistant.
- The product comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Slams might hurt you, so we advise you to stick to the ground grappling game. This material is less forgiving than the competition when it comes to shock absorption.
- Mid-to-high price.
- Vinyl is slippery, so it might lead to potential problems in the later rounds.
5. ProsourceFit Tri-Fold Exercise Mat
ProsourceFit Tri-Fold is one of the most comfortable training mats for high-level gi and no-gi sessions on the market. You can turn your home, basement, or balcony into a training area in less than a minute.
This is an excellent cheap solution to combine gi and no-gi sessions. You’ll quickly improve your skills.
- Top-notch price/quality ratio.
- You can choose between five different colors.
- Easy to store and carry. You can train in the countryside too.
- The thick cushion absorbs a lot of impact. You can train Judo throws too if you want too which makes it a very good pick for 1-on-1 MMA sessions.
- Maximized joint protection reduces the chances of injury.
- Made of durable PVC and EPE foam.
- Very light model – it weighs only 4.2 pounds.
- If you sweat a lot this model starts sticking to you.
6. IncStores Home Cheer Practice Pad
IncStores Home Cheer Pad is a good mat for MMA when it comes to beginners. Learning basic submissions, strikes, and defenses on the ground is possible everywhere with this lovely item.
You’ll need a lot of money, but your back and wrists will stay protected during rolls. One of the best martial arts mats for beginners.
- A variety of colors are offered.
- Cross-link polyethylene foam improves an item’s durability.
- You can attach two mats with Velcro if you need a larger training area.
- Good for no-gi sessions, you will not hurt your back, knees, or elbows.
- One-year warranty.
- Easy to store, you can put it under your bed or behind the closet.
- Your grappling options are somewhat limited; you cannot roll to the side, sweep, or make a transition.
7. Everlast Folding Mat
Everlast is a mobile folding grappling mat that lets you work on specific aspects of the game in literally any surrounding. Overall, it is a good solution for a high-level technical training session.
Transition and sweep experts will probably call this model one of the best portable BJJ mats in the market. You have to buy at least 4 of them for an all-around training session, but it is worth every cent.
- Easy for transport.
- You can store it wherever you want.
- Thick padding leads to a lot of comfort for your back during submission switches or various armbar attempts.
- Good mat for home, it will not damage floors.
- Good pick for no-gi and MMA grappling workouts.
- Mid-to-high price range.
- The mat is not made of shock-absorbing material, so try to stay away from takedowns and slams.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Should I Choose Tatami Or Smooth Mats? I Am A No-Gi Practitioner, Does It Matter?
Yes, it does. Tatami mats are better for gi practitioners because your gi will prevent you from mat burn issue that happens due to tatami mats.
We recommend smooth mats for no-gi practitioners. You can roll in MMA shorts without irritating your skin. These mats lead to more slipping, but it’s very good for your submission switch attempts.
Q: I’m A Defensive-Minded Grappler And I Like To Work Off My Back. Does It Matter?
We recommend smooth mats, unless you participate in gi competitions, then it doesn’t matter. But a smooth mat is more suitable for your grappling style.
Q: I’m A Submission Switch Expert. Does It Matter When I Choose The Most Suitable Pair Of Grappling Mats?
Oh, yeah, please choose smooth mats. Tatami mats are better for trips, takedowns, and throws, but submission switch sessions demand smooth surfaces due to simulating realistic conditions.
Q: I’m A Beginner, Can I Buy Only One Grappling Mat To Save Some Money?
Yes, you can, but if and only if you’re learning very simple defensive moves. When you start learning advanced moves, you’ll need more items at your home.
Q: I Want To Improve My Trip/Takedown Game With My Partner. Which Is The Best Choice For Me?
Undoubtedly tatami mats. It’s the perfect choice of offensive-minded grapplers.