If you are new to golf the first thing you are going to need are some clubs, so we have picked out the best sets for beginners in 2022.
When you are just starting out a complete set is perfect. Golf can be confusing enough without having to think about getting all your clubs separately.
We have reviewed each of the best golf club sets and highlighted what beginners might suit them best. There are a range of options at different prices, but any set would be a great choice.
These are the best golf club sets for beginners:
- Strata 12-Piece Set
- Wilson Ultra SL Set
- TaylorMade RBZ SpeedLite Set
- MacGregor CG3000 Set
- Callaway XJ/T Set
- Cobra F-Max SuperLite Set
1. Strata 12-Piece Set
Affordable set for a starting golfer
Firstly, despite the slightly misleading marketing this set is not made by Callaway, however you can be assured that any product endorsed and dispatched by Callaway has been given their stamp of approval for quality.
Given the low affordable cost there is still reasonable performance in these Strata clubs and they will be ideal for golfers just learning the game. There is a reason this is one the most bought beginner golf sets.
The set comes with a driver, 3 wood, 5 hybrid, 6-PW and putter. Designed for forgiveness and easy distance, the clubs all perform to a beginner’s needs.
The irons are probably the stand out performers in this set, although the steel shafts might be a little weighty for some slower swings.
You also get a lightweight stand bag to complete the set.
- Cheaper cost will appeal to lots of beginners starting on a budget.
- Perform adequately for the beginner golfer getting started.
- Sold by Callaway, even though the brand manufacturer is Strata.
- Driver and 3 wood could be better quality.
- Set does not come with a sand wedge.
2. Wilson Ultra SL Set
Good value from a named brand
Most beginner golfers are looking for good value for their money and enough quality to get them hitting their first golf shots, which is exactly what the Wilson Ultra SL complete set offers.
Wilson has a good reputation for producing decent golf clubs at lower prices than competitors and this is another example.
These golf clubs are not going to last you forever as you begin to improve, but they are definitely a great place to start.
You get a large titanium Matrix driver, a graphite shafted fairway wood, a steel shafted hybrid that all come with headcovers, plus a 6-PW iron set and a putter.
All the clubs are super game improvement designs to promote the most forgiveness and distance possible. The putter is a heel-toe design and comes with a soft paddle grip.
This set does also come with a lightweight stand bag.
- Superb value for money.
- Nice light stand bag was good pocket space.
- All clubs are good enough quality for a beginner golfer.
- A graphite shafted hybrid would have been better.
- There are higher quality Wilson complete sets if you are willing to spend a bit more.
3. TaylorMade RBZ SpeedLite Set
Premium complete set built to last
This is a premium complete set that will easily last your golfing journey from beginner to a mid handicapper. All the RBZ SpeedLite clubs have the modern technology you associate with a brand leader like TaylorMade and are lightweight, easy to launch, forgiving and long.
If you plan to take your golf seriously and want a long term investment from your golf clubs, these are a great option and offer good value given the quality.
The driver and fairway woods both include Speed Pocket technology for improved distance and forgiveness on mishit shots. Two hybrids are designed to be easy launching and replace the difficult to hit 4 and 5 irons.
The super game improvement iron set runs from 6-PW and features advanced perimeter weighting to make them easy to hit and extremely forgiving.
You also get a traditionally shaped specialist sand wedge for improving your short game and a mallet putter with TaylorMade’s Pure Roll technology.
- High quality and forgiving, it will be hard to find better for a beginner.
- Comes with a premium-looking cart bag.
- TaylorMade is a trusted and proven brand.
- Putter would suit almost any standard of golfer.
- Irons can also be purchased in graphite for slightly more money.
- Although actually good value, the higher price may put some beginners off.
- Beginners that do not own a push cart may prefer a stand bag.
4. MacGregor CG3000 Set
Decent quality entry-level set at reasonable price
MacGregor CG3000 is a 9-piece beginner set that offers everything a new golfer needs when they are taking up the game. All the clubs are designed to be forgiving and you get a good-quality stand bag too.
MacGregor might not be a brand that new golfers immediately recognize, but they are long established within the golf industry and nowadays produce good quality affordable products, such as this set.
A 13-degree titanium driver makes getting more carry distance easier for golfers just starting out. You also get a fairway wood and hybrid, which come with a shallow profile for easy launching and replacing long irons for your long approaches. The iron set includes 6-PW, each with an undercut cavity for forgiveness on off center strikes.
Probably the highlight of this set comes with the putter, which is a mallet style with easy alignment and a soft feel.
- Driver, fairway wood and hybrid are all really easy to get airborne.
- Putter is good quality, forgiving and should please most golfers.
- Affordable price and more than enough quality for the beginner golfer.
- Comes with a nice stand bag.
- Only regular/stiff flex available, which will not suit every beginner.
- A SW would be a helpful addition.
5. Callaway XJ/T Set
Best starter set for juniors
Callaway XJ/T are a perfect first set of clubs for a junior just getting into golf. You can choose between different options, which vary the amount of clubs and length of shafts you get.
Regardless of the set you need, you will get the high-end quality and top performance you expect from Callaway. Ideal for a little Phil Mickelson or John Rahm wannabe.
The sets range from XJ Level 1 (38-46″ tall), which includes four clubs. Up to the most complete set, the XT, which is aimed at teenage golfers (62″+ tall) and comes with 10 clubs.
All clubs are designed for prioritizing forgiveness and longer hitting. They all come with graphite shafts to help get the ball up in the air for slower junior swings.
You also get a lightweight and premium stand bag with any set.
- Superb quality in all the clubs and they look great.
- Range of size options to suit juniors as they grow.
- Graphite iron shafts are much more suited to a junior’s swing.
- Callaway is a well-known brand which juniors will like.
- For the youngest juniors a slightly cheaper set to get them started might be preferred.
6. Cobra F-Max SuperLite Set
The ultimate complete women’s set for beginners
As far as complete sets go, the Cobra F-Max SuperLite is probably the best and most advanced on the market. It is definitely a more premium set, but it is packed with technology for maximum forgiveness for a beginner.
You can continue to enjoy these clubs as an intermediate mid handicap golfer just as much though, so you will get plenty of use from this all-in-one set.
The set comes with a driver, three fairway woods, 5-hybrid, 6-PW, sand wedge and putter. This has everything a beginner golfer needs from their golf clubs and replacing the long irons with fairway woods and a hybrid will be much easier to hit.
All the woods come with fast forged faces, an offset and deep CG placement for easy launching, long and straight hitting. The irons all come with a deep undercut cavity, perimeter weighting and progressive hosel and offset designs for combining maximum forgiveness with enough playability.
Extra lightweight grips and shafts in all these clubs are perfect for beginner golfers that need help with their swing speed and getting the ball airborne.
This set also comes with an excellent quality putter and a premium cart bag with loads of storage.
- Will be hard to find higher quality or more technology in a complete set for beginners.
- Suitable for continued use as beginners improve, so could be a long term investment.
- Cobra are an excellent and trust brand.
- Lightweight graphite shafts are perfect and will also suit slower swinging men too.
- Premium quality comes at a premium price, which may deter some beginner golfers.
There you have it, our list of the best beginner golf club sets to buy in 2022. This article was written to make the hunt for the best starter set easier for you. These clubs will help you hit the links with newfound confidence!