In this article, we will take a look at what we consider to be the best long distance golf balls on the market in 2022 and highlighting who they might suit best.
Trying to hit the ball further is something all golfers can relate to regardless of their handicap. The best long distance golf balls will be the ones that can offer you the all around performance you require as well as some extra yards.
Gone are the days where long distance just meant playing with a ball that felt like a rock and offered no greenside control.
There are now plenty of golf balls on the market that offer long distances that will be suited to any golfer. Whether you are looking to maximize the potential of a slower golf swing or looking to combine distance with short game spin.
These are the longest distance golf balls right now:
1. Titleist Velocity
Perfect if you want a golf ball focusing purely on distance gains
Titleist might be best known for their Pro V1, but the recreational golfer looking for distance will find that the Velocity is a much more suitable choice.
The majority of average club golfers will not have the swing speed or skill level to get the best from a Tour quality golf ball, so an option such as the Velocity is perfect.
The much lower spin profile will improve distances, whilst many mid or high handicappers will not miss the extra short game spin.
The Velocity has been designed specifically for gaining the average golfer extra yards. A high speed LSX core and NaZ+ both promote faster ball speeds and less long game spin.
The core is also designed to produce a higher ball flight on all shots, which helps to hold the ball on the green for approach shots.
Despite being released in 2018, the Velocity golf ball still remains every bit as popular as newer models on this list.
- Golfers with an average swing speed (90 – 100 mph) will struggle to find a longer golf ball.
- For a distance golf ball it still offers reasonable feel around the putting surface.
- Low spin and high ball flight is ideal for most mid to high handicappers.
- Superb value for money.
- Available in three different matte colors, green, orange, and pink.
- Low handicappers will probably be looking for more short game spin.
- Golfers with a slow swing speed may prefer a lower compression ball.
2. TaylorMade TP5x
Longest distance Tour golf ball
The TaylorMade TP5x proves that a distance golf ball does not have to mean low spin with your wedges as well as your driver.
Provided you have the required swing speed (100+ mph) then a Tour performance golf ball could be what you need to maximize your distance.
The debate between manufacturers and golfers as to which is the best golf ball on Tour is likely to continue forever, but if you are just focusing on distance then the TP5x would be my pick of the bunch.
Both TP5 models perform well off the tee, but with slightly less driver spin and a high launch the TP5x will give those extra few yards.
The famous five-piece construction has four increasingly firmer layers, including a HFM Speed Layer for improved ball speeds.
The dimples have new Tour Flight aerodynamics to encourage a higher ball flight and a longer carry and the urethane cover has been softened for more control and feel around the green.
From tee to green the TP5x is without doubt one of the best golf balls on the market in 2022.
- Long distances combined with wedge performance.
- Will compete against all the leading Tour balls.
- Pix design might appeal to some golfers.
- You need to have enough club head speed to get the most from this ball.
- A premium golf ball does come with a premium price.
3. Bridgestone e12 Contact
Helps keep you closer to the fairway
Looking for more distance is one thing, but you want the golf ball to go further in the correct direction. When it comes to keeping you closer to the fairway the Bridgestone e12 Contact might be the best performing golf ball available in 2022.
On top of this, it also offers excellent distance performance and good overall playability.
A new innovative Contact Force Dimple creates improved surface contact between the golf ball and club for a more efficient transfer of energy.
Essentially, you can less sidespin on longer shots for a tighter dispersion, but more backspin on shorter shots due to greater friction.
There is also an active acceleration mantle layer and a lower compression core, which help improve ball speed and create a softer long game feel.
- Should appeal to a wide variety of golfers.
- Excellent value for the overall performance.
- Possibly the best at reducing the effects of a slice or hook.
- Also available in bright matte green, red, and yellow.
- Middling performance may miss some golfers out, with low handicappers often opting for a urethane cover and higher handicappers choosing a more budget-friendly option.
4. Srixon Distance
Great value distance golf ball for the average golfer
Srixon have been a favorite brand of golf balls for recreational golfers for many years now and you will struggle to find a better value distance option than their Distance golf ball.
The newest Distance model has been upgraded with new technology and an improved design for more distance and overall performance consistency.
The two-piece design features a new large Energetic Gradient Growth core that has a lower compression for less spin, more ball speed and a higher launch angle.
There are also 108 less dimples than previous Srixon Distance golf balls, which reduces drag and increases lift for improved carry distances and better performance in windy conditions.
A cut-resistant ionomer cover offers more durability, although this will cost you some short game spin.
At a fraction of the cost of premium Tour golf balls, the Distance is perfect for the average recreational golfer with a swing speed of 80mph or above.
- Reasonable soft feel on full shots.
- Great distance performance for average swing speeds (around 90 mph).
- One of the best value golf balls on the market.
- Slower swing speeds will be better off choosing a lower compression ball.
- Low handicappers will prefer more control on pitch and chip shots.
5. Wilson Duo Soft+
Perfect for slower golf swings
Golfers with a slower swing speed are possibly the most likely to go looking for a long distance ball and Wilson claims their Duo Soft+ is the softest and longest two-piece golf ball in the world.
An ultra-low 35 compression makes the Duo Soft+ perfect for squeezing the most distance out of even the slowest swings.
Many golfers associate firmness with distance, however modern golf balls use low compression for boosting ball speeds and a softer feel.
VelocitiCor technology uses different advanced materials for enhanced distance performance.
The Duo Soft+ is low spinning and high launching off the tee, but offers reasonable feel and playability on shorter approach shots.
A durable surlyn cover means that you will not get quite the same greenside spin as a urethane golf ball, but this should not deter too many golfers.
If you are a low handicapper though, the Wilson Duo Professional might be a great alternative.
- One of the best ultra-low compression golf balls on the market.
- Excellent value for money.
- Great distance performance for slower swing speeds.
- Really soft “pillowy” feel will appeal to lots of golfers.
- Ideal for golfers that like a really soft feel on their shots (also see cons).
- The softness could cause a lack of feel when putting.
That completes our list of the best long distance golf balls in 2022. Hopefully we have helped you find your next golf ball and you will now be hitting it longer than ever before.